Saturday, March 16, 2013

3/16/13 by John Gray


I use Focus for perspective and prioritizing things in my life.  Isn’t focus a funny little word?  You can focus your energy like a laser, focus your view to the tiniest detail or the broad landscape, or change your focal field to include the detail and landscape.  But why focus at all?  I use it to remember how the details fit into my life and how my life needs the details so they all fit together.  I use it to check that I’m not missing something more important.  More than once I have concentrated so hard on not spilling a glass of water that I tripped because I didn’t include the floor into my focus.  I’d forgotten that not tripping is more important than spilling the water.

Here are the lectionary readings for today:
Saturday March 16
Morning: Ps. 43; 149
Evening: Ps. 31; 143
Jer. 23:9–15
Rom. 9:1–18
John 6:60–71

I admit that I read through the New Testament verses first, thinking that they always are easier to relate to me and my life.  But after reading all of the readings I found that I was more drawn to the verses in the Old Testament.  So below are how some of the verses remind me to focus on the important things.  I hope they will spark your curiosity to read the verses and see how they relate to your life, and our community.  I pray that we all take this time in Lent to grow in our love of the Lord.

Psalm 31 v24
Be strong, and let your heart take courage.
All you who hope in the Lord.
Psalm 143 v10
                Teach me to do Thy will,
                For Thou art my God;
                Let Thy good Sprit lead me on level ground.
Psalm 43 v3
                O send out Thy light and Thy truth,
                let them lead me.
Psalm 149 v1
                Praise the Lord!
                Sing to the Lord a new song.

No comments:

Post a Comment