Tuesday, March 12, 2013

3/12/13 by Kerry Milbrodt


I have a tendency toward what some call "the monkey mind".  My thoughts jump around and lose focus.  I start with one thought and end up on another and wonder how I got there.  My day usually begins by getting ready for school and work, then I take a short time to read scripture and pray.  This is a good start but then I get distracted with everything else in my day; getting to work, work itself, what to make for dinner, which meeting I have to attend, etc.

 Two things that help me get back on track are the song, "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus", with the words, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace".  These words remind me that concentrating on Jesus makes all the other distractions merely that, distractions from what is most important, Jesus Himself.

The other thing that I find comforting and focusing, is the story of Jesus walking on the water in the storm and how Peter jumps off the boat and walks toward His savior on top of the raging waves. But as soon as he looks down and takes his eyes off Jesus, he begins to sink.  I don't want to sink!  This is a powerful, graphic vision that really helps me when I begin to feel overwhelmed.  I can feel the wind and the waves but I can also feel the love the Savior has for me and that all I have to do is reach out my hand and hold His tight.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kerry, that is a great point, take our eyes of Jesus and we do start to sink.

    Jeff E.

    ReplyDelete