Saturday, February 23, 2013

2/23/13 by Lecia Van Horn


Focus!

Phil and I go pray with cousin Bret in hospice care. We pray with Bret, hug him, hold his hands, tell him we love him. He tells us several times he loves us.

Focus!

Bret passes four days later.

Focus!

Three days later our dog Mac collapses. We rush him to the vet who calls for a spleenectomy (that may or may not help) to remove a growth found on his spleen.
We call our two college-age children Kari and Brandon. We pray. We cry. Phil says we’re just going to bring Mac home.

Focus!

Attend the first meeting of Worship and Music Committee under the new rules slated by Session.

Focus!

The past couple of weeks at work LIVE BREAKING NEWS, every day, covering the ex-LAPD officer who’s on a shooting rampage, accused of killing four persons. Found in Big Bear, shootout, cabin on fire, ex-officer confirmed dead.

Focus!

Go to cousin Bret’s funeral.

Focus!

Lee sends me email: “Hey Lecia, Would you be willing to write a short meditation for the lenten blog for February 23rd?  The theme is FOCUS, so any thought or story that would help us focus on God.”

WHAT???!!!

I’m so NOT focused right now and don’t think I’d be of any help. But Lee convinces me otherwise writing, “Perhaps others need to hear your story about the difficulty to focus. Lent is about dealing with real struggles to be a disciple.  Perhaps someone else can identify and be encouraged by your own struggles.”

God tells us to keep our eyes on Him in the storms of life.  John 16:33  “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

When Peter stepped out on the boat and walked to Jesus on the water, he was WALKING ON THE WATER until he took his eyes off Jesus. “But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Matthew 14:30

We too can cry out, “Lord, save me!”

Throughout these recent storms in my life, I’ve kept moving my focus back onto Jesus, because I moved my eyes off of Him.

When I focus on Jesus this is what I see:
My cousin Bret passed with a smile on his face. Thank you Father! And I praise You for the 50 years we had Bret here on earth.

When I focus on Jesus this is what I see:
Our dog Mac appears to be better for however long we have him. We are grateful for our furry four-legged friend.

When I focus on Jesus this is what I see:
There was prayer, laughter and organization at our Worship and Music Committee meeting!

When I focus on Jesus this is what I see:
The Holy Spirit got the work done ON TIME to get the Breaking News on the air and people are coming together to support the victims’ families.

When I focus on Jesus this is what I see:
I need to keep my eyes on Jesus ALL the time.


1 comment:

  1. Amen sister Lecia; it is such a battle sometimes to see past the waves and turmoil of daily life to see Jesus' hand in everything. Bless the Van Horn family this season with focus, with a real sense of His presence in the lives of each of you, and he knowledge that you carry Him with you.

    ReplyDelete